‘Alas, Poor Yorick!’: A Sterne 250-Year Anniversary Conference
Jesus College, Cambridge
18-21 March 2018
Laurence Sterne was a student at Jesus College, Cambridge in the 1730s. It provides the perfect setting for a conference celebrating his life, work, and afterlives, and in particular the seminal role that A Sentimental Journey through France and Italy played in eighteenth-century culture and beyond upon the 250-year anniversary of its publication.
The conference is proud to host internationally acclaimed academic keynote speakers:
- Peter de Voogd (Utrecht University)
- Freya Johnston (University of Oxford)
- Jon Mee (University of York)
It will also feature more informal talks addressing Sterne’s writings, and its wider impact on culture and the creative arts.
- Professor Claude Rawson will be sharing reminiscences of 1968, with a response from Pat Rogers. Both scholars participated in the bicentenary conference held in this seminal year for Sterne studies, and which gave rise to The Winged Skull, an important milestone in collected essays on Sterne.
- Martin Rowson will talk about his graphic novel interpretations of Sterne’s fiction.
The conference will also include a visit to Cambridge University Library to experience key elements of its extensive Sterne holdings, and a tour of Jesus College and its Sterne connections hosted by the Archivist and Librarian.