‘Alas, Poor Yorick!’: A Sterne 250-Year Anniversary Conference
Jesus College, Cambridge 18-21 March 2018
Laurence Sterne was a student at Jesus College, Cambridge in the 1730s. It provides the perfect setting for a conference celebrating his life, work, and afterlives, and in particular the seminal role that A Sentimental Journey through France and Italy played in eighteenth-century culture and beyond upon the 250-year anniversary of its publication.
The conference is proud to host internationally acclaimed academic keynote speakers:
- Peter de Voogd (Utrecht University)
- Freya Johnston (University of Oxford)
- Jon Mee (University of York)
It will also feature more informal talks addressing Sterne’s writings, and its wider impact on culture and the creative arts.
- Professor Claude Rawson will be sharing reminiscences of 1968 – a seminal year for Sterne studies which saw the bicentenary conference that gave rise to The Winged Skull, an important milestone in collected essays on Sterne.
- Martin Rowson will talk about his graphic novel interpretations of Sterne’s fiction.
The conference will also include a visit to Cambridge University Library to experience key elements of its extensive Sterne holdings, and a tour of Jesus College and its Sterne connections hosted by the Archivist and Librarian.